Runway - Taxiway Pavement Project Updates
Addison Airport has an upcoming airport project that includes surface treatments on the runway and Taxiway Alpha. The work will require Runway 16-34 and Taxiway Alpha to be closed for 4 or 5 days for all aircraft operations, followed by an additional weekend closure to apply the final pavement marking . This project will include Runway Taxiway Alpha and the connecting taxiways (east of the runway), rubber removal, paint removal, cleaning and sealing cracks, surface treatment of the runway and the parallel taxiway system (TWY A and East Connectors).
The project will begin on Friday, April 8, at 8:00 pm. with a 4- or 5-day closure. We will be providing updates on this page during the project.
Also, please note we have had a runway designation change, from 15-33 to 16-34. FMI: email@example.com
Addison Airport has rescheduled an airport project that includes surface treatments on the runway and Taxiway Alpha. This project is important to preserve the integrity of the runway. The work will require Runway 15/33 and Taxiway Alpha to be closed for 4 or 5 days for all aircraft operations, followed by an additional weekend closure to apply the final pavement marking . This project will include Runway 15/33 and Taxiway Alpha and the Connecting taxiways (east of the runway), rubber removal, paint removal, cleaning and sealing cracks, surface treatment of the runway and the parallel taxiway system (TWY A and East Connectors).
The project is now scheduled for a start date of Friday, April 8, with a 4- or 5-day closure beginning (most likely) at 8:00pm on April 8. We will provide you with additional detail and a specific schedule as we get closer to the schedule.
Additionally, the project will include a change of the runway designation, from 15-33 to 16-34.
We will provide you with additional details, dates and times when the engineers finalize the schedule.
After discussions with TX-DOT Aviation and the airport engineers, the runway/taxiway pavement preservation and runway re-designation project has been delayed until spring. You will receive additional information regarding the project scheduling in a few months. There will be no airport closure in December. FMI: Joe.McAnally@addisonairport.net
On Tuesday 11/16, airport staff met with the project engineer, the contractor, and TX-DOT to discuss plans and timing for the runway and taxiway pavement preservation work. The target date for a shut-down to do this work is still December 2-6, pending weather. We have set two dates on which “go/no-go” decisions must be made, with those decisions being driven by the weather. The first decision date is Wednesday 11/24. If the weather appears favorable for the 12/2 to 12/6 time frame, the contractor will order materials on that date. If the weather forecast is not favorable, we will make a “no-go” decision and postpone the project until spring. Similarly on Monday 11/29, the team will assemble to look at the weather forecast and make a decision on whether to proceed. The crack seal and seal coat products require a temperature of 55 degrees and rising to apply and cure, so if precipitation or low overnight temperatures (in the 40s) are forecast for the 12/2 to 12/6 time frame, we will postpone the project until spring.
We will advise our tenants of the “go/no-go” decision(s) on both those dates. Obviously, if the “no-go” decision is made on 11/24, there will not be a need to make any decision on 11/29 (as the decision to postpone until spring will already have been made). If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
After a discussions with TX-DOT Aviation and the airport engineers, the plan for the runway/taxiway pavement preservation and runway re-designation project is as follows:
- A planning meeting is scheduled for 11/16.
- A pre-construction meeting will be held on Monday 11/29; weather will be evaluated and a decision on whether to proceed with an early December runway closure will be made at that time.
- The planned work on the runway includes paint and rubber removal, routing and sealing of cracks, and seal coating with FAA Spec P-608R (rapid cure) material. Markings will be initially repainted at 50% coverage and repainted at a later date (TBD). The runway designation will change from 15-33 to 16-34. The designation change will include replacement of panels on the runway holding position signs plus the addition of (thermoplastic) surface painted runway holding position markings at all runway holding positions.
- The P-608R material can only be applied when the temperature is 55 degrees F and rising
- The target time frame for the airport closure needed to complete the planned work begins on Thursday December 2, most likely at 8:00pm (although that time may be adjusted) and will continue through Tuesday December 7. This window is contingent on a favorable weather forecast, which will be evaluated on Monday 11/29. If the forecast is unfavorable then the work will be postponed until spring. We expect the runway to re-open the morning of Wednesday December 8.
- If the work must be postponed until spring, TX-DOT has indicated that Addison Airport must cover any associated cost increase. We are working with the contractor to obtain written commitment to hold pricing and do not presently anticipate any significant cost increase should a delay become necessary.
- FAA navigation charts are currently scheduled to show the change in the runway designation (to 16-34) beginning with the March 24, 2022 chart publication cycle.
- FAA ATC has requested tenants who anticipate relocating aircraft for the planned December closure to advise how many aircraft will be relocated, to which airports, and with what timing. email@example.com, Joe.McAnally@addisonairport.net Joseph.firstname.lastname@example.org