Preston Witt (center) was one of the first recorded settlers to the Addison area. Trinity Mills Road in north Carrollton is named after the successful mill and trading post operated thereby Witt, his brother Wade Witt, and their brother-in-law A.W. Perry.
S.S. Noell & Family
Addison was originally named Noell Junction after S.S. Noell, pictured with his family at their home, which was nestled on 1,200 acres south of Belt Line Road from Midway Road to Preston Road. Noell was a charter member of the Addison Methodist Church and gave land in order to get the Cotton Belt Railroad to build a rail line to Dallas through Addison.
Farmers in Addison
The natural springs located on the north side of Henry Keller's property were a great resource for local farmers, as well as a regional landmark. Farmers from around the area pitched in to help make the springs more accessible.
S.S. Noell and wife Nannie first lived on a farm in the Love Field area eventually purchasing a farm several miles north on the east side of Marsh Lane and north of Spring Valley Road. This homeplace was referred to as the Spring Farm and was located near present-day Loos Stadium. As legend has it, a group of cattle drivers were crossing this area after a cattle drive, carrying with them money from the sale of their cattle, when they were chased by robbers and forced to bury the gold. Years later, many people, including Noell, dug on his land looking for the gold until he abruptly put an end to it. Coincidentally, soon after, Noell purchased 1200 acres that stretch south of Belt Line Road from Midway Road to Preston Road and the family relocated.
The Town of Addison was originally named Noell Junction in his honor; however, when a post office was authorized it was discovered there was already a post office designated as Noel in another part of Texas. The town was then renamed for local carpenter and Civil War veteran Addison Robertson.
Addison Post Office
Addison Robertson, far left, shows off the Addison Post Office
Nannie Lively married S.S. Noell in 1882. Nannie raised eight children. All of the Noell children attended school, mostly in the one-room school called Heads and Tails, but they all helped with the farm chores
Sunday afternoons in the Town of Addison were a time of rest and relaxation at the turn of the century. This group of youngsters frolic on the banks of the White Rock Creek, a popular destination for fishing and picnics.
The Town of Addison was originally named "Noell Junction" in honor of S.S. Noell. However, when a post office was authorized it was discovered there was already a post office designated as "Noel" in another part of Texas. In 1904 the town was then renamed for local carpenter and Civil War veteran Addison Robertson.
Addison served as the second postmaster from 1908 to 1916. Civic-minded even at the age of seventy-nine, Addison also served as an undercover Secret Service agent during World War I and helped with the capture of rebels in Wichita Falls who were smuggling guns and planning to overthrow the government.
The Tarpley family in 1914. Top row, left to right: Mamie, Laura, James Franklin, Willie May, Zollie Scott, Pearl, and Flemmie. Seated, left to right: John A., standing on his left, Tennyson (Mamie's son), Vassie Leroy, Andrew Taylor, Mary Jane holding one-month-old Edgar Taylor, Harrie Lillian, and DeArville.
Taylor Tarpley bought 108 acres roughly bounded by Marsh Lane, Keller Springs Road and Tarpley Road. With help from the entire family, Tarpley became a successful farmer and was recognized as one of the biggest cotton farmers in the area.
Early Downtown Addison
Downtown Addison in the early 1920s featured the Noell-Goodman Drug Store and Soda Fountain, owned and operated by business partners Ben Noell and Addison School Principal C.V. Goodman. Goodman also found time to coach the boys' high school basketball team and serve as a deacon of the Baptist church.
Downtown Addison, mid-1920s
Downtown Addison in the mid-1920s was home to the Atkins General Store (barely visible from behind the car), the Addison State Bank, the Noell-Goodman pharmacy, the local grocery store, and the Nance-Yeary General Merchandise Store.