Civil Rights & Civil Liberties
The Addison Fire Department complies with Federal Civil Rights laws and is committed to providing its programs and services without discrimination in accordance with:
• Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin (including limited English proficiency).
• Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibits discrimination based on disability.
• Title IX of the Educations Amendments Act of 1972, which prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities.
• Age Discrimination Act of 1975, which prohibits discrimination based on age.
• U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulation 6 C.F.R. Part 19, which prohibits discrimination based on religion in social service programs.
The Addison Fire Department has established a policy (Standard Operating Procedure 140 Civil Rights & Civil Liberties) to identify the responsibility of all employees to uphold the provisions of laws prohibiting discrimination against members of the public, and those who use our services and programs. This policy also provides the complaints process for a recipient to follow should they feel they have been discriminated against. This policy is both an internal document and public facing document.